Saturday, November 22, 2014

SERVICE LEADER

 Jesus Christ Himself is our greatest example of a perfect leader. In John 13:1-35 there is a beautiful example of our Savior Jesus Christ washing the feet of His disciples. There was not a more humble or affirming act of service that anyone could do for a person not only in that time; but as well in our time. Jesus Christ used this example that he knew would transcend every era of time in all history. This can be a witness to us about how important this example that He set was.

It is a testimony builder for me of what our examples can do for individuals; not just today; but for eternity. 

As I read in Mosiah about King Benjamin I was reminded of the eternal example that he set by following Jesus Christ's example in his actions towards the people that He led.

 Because of King Benjamin's testimony that Jesus Christ would come; although it had not even happened yet; but because of his faith in what he knew would come to pass; he lived by the example of what Jesus Christ would later teach on the earth in his ministry.  
In Mosiah 2: 11-17; King Benjamin explains the reason that he lead His people is because of Christ; and to be in the service of God;
11 But I am like as yourselves, subject to all manner of infirmities in body and mind; yet I have been chosen by this people, and consecrated by my father, and was suffered by the hand of the Lord that I should be a ruler and a king over this people; and have been kept and preserved by his matchless power, to serve you with all the might, mind and strength which the Lord hath granted unto me.
 12 I say unto you that as I have been suffered to spend my days in your service, even up to this time, and have not sought gold nor silver nor any manner of riches of you;
 13 Neither have I suffered that ye should be confined in dungeons, nor that ye should make slaves one of another, nor that ye should murder, or plunder, or steal, or commit adultery; nor even have I suffered that ye should commit any manner of wickedness, and have taught you that ye should keep the commandments of the Lord, in all things which he hath commanded you—
 14 And even I, myself, have labored with mine own hands that I might serve you, and that ye should not be laden with taxes, and that there should nothing come upon you which was grievous to be borne—and of all these things which I have spoken, ye yourselves are witnesses this day.
 15 Yet, my brethren, I have not done these things that I might boast, neither do I tell these things that thereby I might accuse you; but I tell you these things that ye may know that I can answer a clear conscience before God this day.
 16 Behold, I say unto you that because I said unto you that I had spent my days in your service, I do not desire to boast, for I have only been in the service of God.
17 And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.
We have countless examples of leaders in the scriptures devoting everything they could in order to serve their people; and this is all because of Jesus Christ and the way that He taught us to do this by His example. When I think of this I am even more thankful to Him because I am aware that every single good deed ever done in all of our existence was done because of either the Light of Christ within a person, or in other words the faith and hope in Him. 
In HC 1:340 Joseph Smith wrote a letter of admonition from Kirtland to the brethren in Missouri. He writes on April 21st, 1834;
" We now commence (to answer your letters ), after giving thanks to our Heavenly Father for every expression of His goodness in preserving our unprofitable lives to the present time, and for the health and blessings which we now enjoy through His mercies " 
Everything that Joseph Smith sacrificed and did was for Jesus Christ and His gospel; and I am thankful that we also have the witness of Joseph Smith's character and works to uphold His worthiness of being a prophet whom has done more for the world than anyone save Jesus Christ ( D&C 135:3 ).
And, even still after sacrificing and doing all that Joseph Smith did ; HE CONSIDERED HIMSELF AN UNPROFITABLE SERVANT! What an example for us all. Joseph Smith and all faithful leaders of Christ have humility that allows and leads them to serve.

As even Jesus Christ said in John 13:16 ;
 "Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him."
Setting the example that even He;  as He washes their feet; is explaining that They, and we should serve everyone; despite any preconceived notions about whom should serve whom.

No comments:

Post a Comment