Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Brooke's Comment


A statement I heard  made an impact on me enough that I thought of it when reading our scripture assignment this week. The statement kept playing in my head over and over saying; 
 
" We are making choices at every second of everyday. We can choose right or wrong at every second of every day." 
 
I was searching LDS.org for these words that were playing in my mind when I read Mosiah 2:17. After awhile of not finding these words in a talk, I looked in the book that my daughter and I made together of some of her comments and quotes from conference talks; it was then that I realized that it was not a prophet, or apostle that said those words, it was my eight-year old daughter. I was so proud of her that she said something so profound that it stuck in my head and I went to look for the quote in the conference talk library. 
 
In Mosiah 2:17 it says; 
"And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God. "
 
My daughter was right. At every moment we can either choose to be doing something that will help others around us feel the spirit and the invitation to come to Christ; or we can choose to not put as much thought into what we are doing, but just go about our day not being a light unto the world, but just being a part of it. For me, I have to remind myself to make the better choice and spend less time cleaning my house, and take the time to play with my four-year old. For me, I have to work on responding with love and patience when a comment someone says may have hurt me. For me, I have to choose to take extra time in the scriptures with my children discussing and really listening rather than racing through scripture study. For me, I have to think of people in my ward or neighbors, and how I can help them, instead of thinking of some of the things I want to do for myself that day. I think that all of our struggles are different than each others, but I know from experience that because I love my Father in Heaven I am very concerned about what I can do for Him on a daily basis, verses what the world says I should do with my time.
 
I like this quote by Neal A. Maxwell:
“We can tell much by what we have already willing discarded along the pathway of discipleship. It is the only pathway where littering is permissible, even encouraged. In the early stages, the debris left behind includes the grosser sins of commission. Later debris differs; things begin to be discarded which have caused the misuse or underuse of our time and talent.” 
 
The fact that I thought of words of wisdom taught to me by my daughter was also a sure witness and reminder to me of becoming as a child; as it says in Mosiah 3:19, that we must become like a child; submissive; meek; and willing to submit to all things. My daughter is a great example to me and I do pray to be more like her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment