Monday, November 3, 2014

Never Underestimate the Power of Prayer

Never underestimate the power of prayer
In 2 Nephi 26:15 it says, " After my seed and the seed of my brethren shall have dwindled in unbelief and shall have been smitten by the Gentiles; yea after the Lord God shall have camped against them round about, and have laid siege against them with a mount and raised forts against them and after they shall have been brought down low in the dust, even that they are not yet, the words of the righteous shall be written and the prayers of the faithful shall be heard, and all those who have dwindled in unbelief shall not be forgotten. "

As I read this verse in the Book of Mormon the part that stood out to me was the fact that because of the prayers of the faithful those who did not believe will not be forgotten and because of the prayers being heard- the words of the righteous were written to help even us in this generation.

I think I should never underestimate the power of prayer! 

I am reminded of the prayer of the faithful being heard when it says in Mosiah 27:14:

"And again, the angel said: Behold, the Lord hath heard the prayers of his people, and also the prayers of his servant, Alma, who is thy father; for he has prayed with much faith concerning thee that thou mightest be brought to the knowledge of the truth; therefore, for this purpose have I come... "

I think of the events that took place because of those prayers and am amazed that because of prayers, Alma the younger became an incredible leader and missionary of His church.

I am reminded of the prayers spoken of  in Mosiah 24:12-16:

" And Alma and his people did not raise their voices to the Lord their God, but did pour out their hearts to him; and he did know the thoughts of their hearts.

And it came to pass that the voice of the Lord came to them in their afflictions, saying: Lift up your heads and be of good comfort, for I know of the covenant which ye have made unto me; and I will covenant with my people and deliver them out of bondage.

And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions.

And now it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon Alma and his brethren were made light; yea, the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord.

  And it came to pass that so great was their faith and their patience that the voice of the Lord came unto them again, saying: Be of good comfort, for on the morrow I will deliver you out of bondage."

When Amulon remembered that Alma was one of the Priests who believed in that Abinidi whom was put to death; he began to put task masters over Alma and his people, making it difficult for them to work. "

The prayers of their heart were heard and because of their faith they were taken out of bondage.

I think of the fasting (a form of prayer) along with other prayers I am sure; of Esther and her people in Esther 4:16:

"Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and fast ye for me, and neither eat nor drink three days, night or day: I also and my maidens will fast likewise; and so will I go in unto the king, which is not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish."

This faith and prayers of Esther's handmaidens and all of the Jews in Shushan saved the faithful Mordicai from being put to death by Haman, and saved their entire people as Haman had vowed to kill all of the Jews...

I have felt the prayers of others giving me strength and comfort in my own life. I will not forget to never underestimate the power of prayer, because it can change the eternities....

No comments:

Post a Comment