Saturday, November 22, 2014

Christ Directs His Church Across Time

I feel thankful that I can be referred to as a saint this day, as in many cases the term " Saint " is referencing those individuals in the early church. The word Saint is derived from a Greek word " Hagios " , which translated means; " to set apart " . 

As King Benjamin desired his son Mosiah to send a proclamation unto his people to be gathered together in order to hear him speak; in Mosiah 1:10-11; he explains that he has a name to give his people which will " set them apart " or distinguish them as he says; " I shall give this people a name, that thereby they may be distinguished about all the people that the Lord had brought out of the land of Jerusalem; and this because they have been a diligent people in keeping the commandments of the Lord."

King Benjamin also explains in Mosiah 5:7 additional reasons they can be called by this name as he says; " And now because of the covenant which ye have made ye shall be called children of Christ, his sons and daughters." As well he explains they will keep this name forever unless it be " blotted out " through transgression ( Mosiah 1:12 ) .

Similarly we see the same process happen with the apostle Paul in Ephesians as he speaks to the " saints " gathered to hear him. Paul first explains that before the earth was made; a plan was created for those who will accept Christ into their lives to sanctify them ( Ephesians 1: 4 ) , and that they would have a distinction that would separate them from the world as he says in Ephesians 1:5; " Having pre-destined us into the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself according to the good pleasure of his will."  As well a few verses later Paul explains that the Saints are sealed with the Holy Spirit of Promise; meaning this name is permanent, unless removed by way of transgression. 

we can also see this pattern in the Old Testament in Exodus 32:33 as Moses explains that whoever sins is blotted out of his book. We can also see this pattern in the early saints of the church in D&C 128:7 ;it explains that this sealing that Paul talked about upon the saints, and that King Benjamin talks about in the Book Of Mormon; is  only taken out by way of blotting out ; through transgression. In the Doctrine and Covenants it says; "  Now, the nature of this ordinance consists in the power of the priesthood, by the revelation of Jesus Christ, wherein it is granted that whatsoever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatsoever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. Or, in other words, taking a different view of the translation, whatsoever you record on earth shall be recorded in heaven, and whatsoever you do not record on earth shall not be recorded in heaven; for out of the books shall your dead be judged, according to their own works, whether they themselves have attended to the ordinances in their own propria persona, or by the means of their own agents, according to the ordinance which God has prepared for their salvation from before the foundation of the world, according to the records which they have kept concerning their dead."

I find it beautiful that God's church is directed after the same order in all dispensations; and it is true witness to me of whom is directing The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints; as throughout history the church has stayed the closest to the patterns that Christ himself taught and set up. 

I am very aware of the blessings that I have been given and will be given as a faithful member of His church. I am thankful that I am both a child of Christ, a Latter Day Saint , and that I am sealed to my Father and Heaven through a previous marriage. Although that sealing is no longer sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise to that individual, I have been told by the Temple President that my sealing to my Father and Heaven and Jesus Christ, is still valid so long as I am worthy. I will never forget a tender mercy of the Lord that I once experienced through a dream. Because I am not sealed to my current husband I feel very worried from time to time about how I will ever enter the Celestial Kingdom. In a dream one night after sorrowfully praying and asking how this would work out for me, I had passed on from this life. I was waiting in a pure white room waiting to move from one place to another. I kept thinking this will not be possible for me to enter where I wanted too as I knew I did not have an eternal marriage. A Woman dressed all in white came and handed me a paper with my temple name on it, and the very last name written was Christ; my feelings were overwhelmed and I knew that He was the way. I knew that He was trying to tell me that He will give me the help that I need in some how or in some way if I do my part to be worthy of His name. 
 
This beautiful dream gave me great understanding about what it means to bear His name, and to be His child. For what parent would not do everything in their power to help their child have a joyful and fulfilling life? A parent would do anything to bring their child true joy, and He has done everything. It is already done- and now the blessings are just waiting for us to claim them through our obedience as His children. I love Him more than anyone or anything could ever enter into my heart. I want to make Him happy, and I try to do this as His child that bears His name. What a privilege that we all have to be royalty as His children. 

I say this in His holy name- Jesus Christ, amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment