Monday, March 9, 2015

Sifted As Wheat


 Important Discovery:

In 3 Nephi 18:18, Jesus teaches that we must " watch and pray always" because satan desires to have us that he may " sift us as wheat."

In the New Testament times many would be very familiar with the process of sifting wheat. In modern times, I  found it necessary to research this; in order that I could gain insight into what Jesus was teaching the Nephites in 3 Nephi and as well his disciples in the New Testament ( Luke 22:31 ).

Sifting wheat was necessary without machines in the past, and in some parts of the world today this method is still being used. As wheat is sifted the threshing floor is the place where the sheaves of grain are crushed under the feet of oxen. The partly threshed grain is constantly being turned over with a fork. The stalks are broken into short pieces and the husks of grain are separated from the stalk. The mixture of the grain is then thrown into the wind with a winnowing fork. The chaff blows away and the grain is collected into a pile. 
The stalks are often burned. The entire process is about refining good wheat from bad grain. The refinement that comes from sifting makes the grain usable and creates seeds for producing future harvest. Without sifting the good wheat is useless.

From this analogy we can learn that Jesus was explaining about our lives on earth. We are being sifted daily through many life trials and experiences. If we are not careful to pray always, as we are being sifted, we will become the chaff that blows away in the wind. 

When we are being beaten down by lives trials, like the sheaves of grain are crushed; as we turn to the Lord, He makes us into the good grain, that is also able to produce a future harvest. 

(Job 21:18, Psalms 1:4, D&C 52:12, Isaiah 29:5, Isaiah 33:11 )

Personal Application:

In my own life I understand that I am being sifted as the wheat. As I pray always, I am not going to be the chaff, but the good grain that will be fruitful. As I consider if my trials are refining me in my life, or if I am allowing satan to be the sifter; also - If I am becoming the chaff?
These are some questions that I can pose to myself in order to gauge which path I am on? Refinement, or Chaff that blows away in the wind?

- Is my spiritual growth being accelerated in times of trouble or as I turn to Him in my weaknesses?

- Am I learning to trust in God more and am I learning to be more willing to submit to His will?

- Am I becoming more like Him, as I understand more closely what the Savior went through for me? 

Plan of Action:

I believe that my trials have been greatly beneficial in my life. As I am being sifted and trodden down by the feet of oxen or trials of life, I have learned to turn to Him. As I turn to Him, over time my faith has greatly increased. I am now learning that His will for me is much better than I could have imagined on my own. I am learning to have compassion for others as I realize they may not yet bet at a place where they understand that He knows best, and I believe that I can best serve Him by loving and being patient with those in my life that may not be responding to their trials by turning to Him, thus they are on the path to becoming chaff. I love everyone, and so I must be patient, as He is for me. 

I say this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment