Monday, March 23, 2015

God's Compassion

In Ether 1:35 we can come to understand whom our Father in Heaven is with greater depth. 
I love the scriptures that have been left with us that witness of His endless compassion for us His children.

As we read we learned of the great tower which the people were building and because f the Lord's desire for the people to grow through a trial, he changed their language, causing them to not be able to speak unto one another. With knowledge that that The Brother of Jared was favored of the Lord, we learn that as he was asked to pray by his brother , the Lord, " had compassion upon Jared; therefore he did not confound the language of Jared; and Jared and his brother were not confounded. " ( Ether 1:35 )

It is true that we learn in James 5:16 that , " The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." 

I have great faith in the Lord answering the prayers said by a righteous person ; on behalf of those they love first because I have witnessed prayers being answered in this way; time and time again. Also, I have a added faith from the scripture examples of this principle that we have been left in the scriptures. 

Some of my favorite examples that exemplify the Lord's compassion for His children are:

After the earth flooded Enoch witnessed that the Lord had surely wept. Enoch asked how this is possible and the Lord explained, 
" Behold these thy brethren; they are the workmanship of mine own hands, and I gave unto them their knowledge, in the day that I created them; and in the garden of Eden, gave I unto man his agency. " ( Moses 7:28 )

When Alma, whom was the father of Alma the younger, and the church members prayed for help because Alma and the sons of Mosiah were persecuting the church, we see their prayers were answered,  " And again, the angel said, Behold the Lord hath heard the prayers of His people, and also the prayers of His servant Alma, who is thy father; for he has prayed with much faith concerning thee that thou mightest be brought to the knowledge of the truth; therefore for this purpose have I come to convince thee of the power and authority of God, that the prayers of His servants might be answered according to their faith." ( Mosiah 27:14 )

When Moses lacked confidence before the Lord about his ability to speak unto the people; as he felt slow of speech, the Lord reminded Moses that He could help anyone as he said, " Who made man's mouth". But having compassion upon Moses, his anger was kindled and He said that Moses could go unto Aaron, and ask for his help; for this would make Aaron happy. " And the Lord said unto him, who hath made man's mouth, or who maketh the dumb or the deaf or the seeing or the blind? Have not I thee Lord? Now therefore go and I will be thy mouth and teach thee what thou shalt say. And he said, " O my Lord, send, I pray thee, by the hand of him whom thou wilt send, and the anger of the Lord was kindled against Moses and he said, is not Aaron the Levite thy brother? I know he can speak well, And behold also he cometh forth to meet thee and when he seeth thee, he will be glad in his heart. And thou shalt speak unto him and put words in his mouth, and I will be with his mouth , and I will teach you what you should do." ( Exodus 4:11 )

When Jesus Christ came to visit the Nephites as he was about to depart, " Jesus cast His eyes round about again on the multitude, and beheld they were in tears, and did look steadfastly upon Him as if they would ask Him to tarry a little longer with them. And He said unto them, Behold my bowels are filled with compassion towards you." Then Jesus proceeded to stay and heal and bless their sick. ( 3 Nephi 16:5-6 )

There are many more examples in the scriptures of our Father in Heaven and Jesus Christ hearing and answering the prayers of the righteous; this strengthens my own faith. 

The very fact that we have the Book of Mormon today is due to the Lord's compassion towards His children in ancient times. 
As Enos prayed all night and the Lord answered saying, " Whatsoever thing ye shall ask in faith, believing that ye shall receive it in the name of Christ, ye shall receive it." ( Enos 1:15 ) Enos then asks the Lord to preserve their record to come forth later to their people. The Lord said unto him, " Thy fathers have also required of me this thing; and it shall be done unto them according to their faith; for their faith was like unto thine. " ( Enos 1:18 )

Many miracles have happened in my life due to righteous individuals praying for me. There have been many times that only the Lord could have known a concern of mine or a struggle that I was having; as I prayed unto Him about my struggles or concerns He has answered me through scriptures, a person and my thoughts. 

I have witnessed Him helping others that I have prayed for. 

One example was a time when my older brother was in Boot Camp for the Marines He was doing long hikes and strenuous activities on injuries that he should not have continued to exercise on. Upon receiving the news that he may be taken out of the camp and have to start all the way over, my family began to pray and fast for him. He witnessed to us that all of his pain did go away as he was able to finish his training without beginning over. 

I think that a lesson to remember about our Heavenly Father's compassion is that He always wants us to pray; and to pray for others along with our needs. 

" Therefore, Ask and ye shall receive; knock and it shall be opened unto you; for he that asketh receiveth, and unto him that knocketh it shall be opened. " ( 3 Nephi 27:29 )

I say this in the name of Jesus Christ.Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment