Tuesday, February 10, 2015

SEALING POWER

As I read in Helaman 10 and I witness Nephi receiving the " Sealing Power " I am reminded of how blessed that I am today that I am a member of Jesus Christ's church; that same church that He organized Himself when He was here upon the earth. As Elder Callister stated in a CES Devotional held at BYU, titled " Blueprint", Jan. 2014, he said, " Christ's church was founded on Apostles and Prophets. When Paul was writing to some new members of the church he said that they were now, " built upon the foundation of the Apostles and Prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the Chief Corner Stone."  ( Ephesians 2:20 )

Just as we witness Nephi in this chapter receiving acceptance and blessings from God, we also witness Nephi receiving the Priesthood Power, or  in other words Keys or " Power that whatsoever you seal on earth shall be sealed in heaven; and whatsoever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. "  ( Helaman 10:7 )
 
The sacred call of a Prophet and the sacred " Keys of the kingdom " have been present since the beginning of time. We have witnessed Moses being called in Exodus 24 on Mount Sinai in the Old Testament, Where Moses took three others; Aaron, Nadab, and Abihu with him to the mount, and they saw the God of Israel. ( Exodus 24:9-11 ) 

Again we witness the sacred call and " Keys of the Kingdom " being given to a prophet on the Mount of Transfiguration eight days before Christ would take Peter, John and James upon the mount with Him, He promised Peter, " Blessed art thou Simon, Barjona; for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in Heaven, and I say unto thee that thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven." ( Matthew 16: 14-20 )
Eight days later in Luke 9:28-36 Christ took Peter, John and James up into a mountain to pray; when suddenly Moses and Elias appeared in glory.

I personally know of no other church whom claims to hold the same Priesthood Power that was given to all of the past prophets? 

keys are biblical symbols of power and authority held by prophets for governing the kingdom of God.
Keys symbolize power because they are given to those
who are judged trustworthy. . . . In the Old Testament keys belong
to the steward of the house, the trusted servant, the one that the
master has chosen for the household affairs
Thus, in the biblical
context, keys are dual images of trust and responsibility. 
 For the
one who gives the keys, they are symbols of trust and belief in the
character of the steward. For the one who receives the keys, they
are symbols of responsibility
While Jesus taught the Jewish leaders
that keys control access to revelation (see Luke 11:52), his statement
implied that, because the Jewish leaders did not fulfill their
responsibility in accessing and teaching the truth, they had lost the
keys which they had once 
held. The biblical references to keys
(Is. 22:22; Matt. 16:13–20; Luke 11:52; Rev. 1:18; 3:7) imply that
there are several keys associated with the kingdom of 
God.
As two of the foremost prophets in the Old Testament with
roles that embodied trust and responsibility, both Moses and
Elijah held keys for the governing of the Kingdom."
                                                   RykenWilhoit, and Longman discuss the meaning of keys in biblical texts.
When Jesus Christ chose His Apostles and those whom would receive Priesthood Power, he did not choose those whom were educated in religious matters. He prayed " all night " to know from His Father's inspiration whom He should choose. ( Luke 6 : 12-17 ) 

Christ said, " Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you and ordained you. " ( John 15:16 )

I am so deeply thankful that I have this exact same power greatly involved in my life today. That same power that Jesus Christ ordained his Apostles to have; is the same power that worthy men of the church use as they direct and lead the affairs of the church.  I feel this power in the authority of my Bishop, Stake President and church Teachers. Although I do not hold the Priesthood, I also feel it's power working on my behalf and through me as I keep my temple covenants. The power of God is real. I know this and experience it daily. I am forever thankful for this. 

In the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment