Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Materialism

My experience at the hospital 
I am privileged to work as a Technician and Nurses Assistant at a hospital near my home. This past Sat. as I went in for my long twelve-hour shift I was told that I would be in the care of one patient all day. The overwhelming gratitude and sorrow that I witnessed in this patients family during these twelve hours; was merciful and horrific at the same time. I felt the effects of what had began to happen to the Nephites as we read in Helaman 3:33. As we read this verse we learn that a pride began to enter into their hearts. Later as we read in Helaman 3:36, we learn where this pride came from, as the verse states, " Exceeding great pride had gotten into the hearts of the people; and it was because of their exceedingly great riches and their prosperity in the land, and it did grow upon them from day to day."
                             
 This patient was nearly dead when he was found by his wife. He had attempted to commit suicide by hanging himself with a belt around his neck. Fortunately this patient had survived, although he was being supported by machines which allowed him to breath, and having a broken neck, the recovery will not be an easy one. It was a miracle that although he had a seizure shortly after being rescued, nuero-testing indicated that his brain had not been damaged by this tragic event. As I watched the endless tears from his wife and family as they entered and exited the room, discussing with one another and such; it became evident right away the cause for this mans attempted suicide. The plea from his wife at bedside in tears was, " I am so sorry. I am so sorry that I made you believe that our house, cars and rental properties were more important than you. I promise we are going to stay together and nothing is more important than you sweetheart." These words could not be heard by the sedated patient, and in a way the chains and destruction of materialism had already taken a very heart wrenching toll on this family. As I witnessed many times this same patient's wife also exit the room to talk with her rel estate agent, and then come back into the room, and state to her sedated husband, " Don't worry, this and that house are being sold right now." As if the image of her husband's delicate life hanging by a thread, did not sink the message, " Things that can be bought do not matter" , deep enough. 
                               
  Witnessing these events brought a vivid image of what materialism can really do to a people, even as we saw it take hold of the hearts of the Nephites in these chapters in Helaman 3. We even witness the Nephites materialism cause them to lose their support from God, and eventually lose " all the possessions of the Nephites " 
( Helaman 4:1 ), and furthermore in Helaman 4:11-12 we read, " Now this great loss of the Nephites and the great slaughter which was among them, would not have happened had it not been for their wickedness and abomination which was among them; yea and it was among those who professed to belong to the church of God, and it was because of the pride of their hearts, because of their exceeding riches, yea it was because of their oppression to the poor." 
                                 
 Although we may not be a a great slaughter physically, these events caused me to worry for myself and those whom may be on the path towards slaughter like I watched this patient mercifully be saved from, as his family and he are given a second chance to remember how to treat and cherish each other, more than their possessions. 
                                     We have been warned and taught so many examples about materialism. 
Luke 2:15, " A man's life consisteth not in the abundance of thing which he posesseth."
Prayer, scripture study, and spiritual experiences help remind us that we are greater than what we own.
" Seek not after riches nor the vain things of this world; for behold you cannot carry them with you. " ( Alma 39:14 ) 
When we die the only things we take with us are our memories, relationships and the things that we learned.
" Seek not the things of this world, but seek ye first to build the kingdom of God." ( JST Matthew 6:38 )
I would rather spend my time doing those things that will help people come unto Christ, than any other thing that I could spend my time on.
" Thou shalt lay aside the thing of this world, and seek for the things of a better." ( D&C 25:10 )
When I die, I hope my children will not mourn for me, because if my work is finished, I will be exactly where I want to be.
" We are happiest when our lives are connected to others through unselfish love and service."  (Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin of the Quorom of the Twelve Apostles)
I have experienced this happiness myself in connection and service of others!
" Lay up yourselves treasure in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt and where thieves do not break through nor steal. For where your treasure is, there will heart be also. ( Matthew 6:19-21 )
I am so thankful for these great teachings in the scriptures and it is easy to see where our hearts are; our hearts are wherever we are spending our time! 
I say this in the name of Jesus Christ. amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment