Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Jealousy

In Helaman we can learn about the dangerous sin of jealousy. I decided to expand on this account of jealousy because I used to feel jealousy frequently in my life, and in fact my competitive nature and jealousy kept me from being as worthy of the spirit's influence in my life. I could partially attribute this sin to my leaving the path towards happiness for a time.

In Helaman 1 we learn that as Pahoran had died there began to be serious contention about who should obtain the judgement-seat. ( Helaman 1:2)

We watch this competition among Pahoran's sons cause a division among the people. ( Helaman 1:4 )

We watch Pahoran Jr. obtain the position, only shortly after to be murdered by followers of Paanchi ( Pahoran's own brother ). ( Helaman 1:9 )

This evil work began all because of jealousy which eventually led to an enormous destruction of righteousness and physical destruction, because of the difficulty these sins caused in their government being prepared to protect their people. ( Helaman 1:18 )

In the New Testament we are taught a parable by Jesus Christ that is a reminder to us that we never need be jealous as followers of Christ. In Luke 15:11-32)

 As we read about the Prodigal Son, Elder Jeffery R. Holland reminded us in an April 2002, conference talk, titled " The Other Prodigal "  an important lesson that we were meant to take away from this parable as he says, " Being caught in this younger son's story we can miss, if we are not careful, the account of an elder son, for the opening line of the account reads, " a certain man had two sons", and he might have added both whom were lost and needed to come home. Certainly this younger brother had been a prisoner of sin, stupidity and pigsty, but the older brother lives in some confinement too, as he has yet been able to break out of the prison himself, he is haunted by the green-eyed monster of jealousy, he feels taken for granted by his father, and disenfranchised by his brother, when neither is the case. As such he is like Tantalus of Greek Mythology- he is up to his chin in water, but he remains thirsty never the less. One who was heretofore presumably happy with his life and content with good fortune suddenly feels very unhappy, simply because another has had good fortune as well. Who is it that whispers to subtly in our ear that a gift given to another somehow diminishes the blessings that we have received? Who makes us feel that if God is smiling on another then he must surely be frowning on us? You and I know who does this- it is the father of all lies, it is Lucifer, whose cries down the corridors of time is always and to everyone, " give me thine honor"  ( Moses 4:1 ). As others seem to grow larger in our sight, we think we must therefore be smaller, so unfortunately we occasionally act that way. God does not work this way. The Father in this story does not tantalize his children. He does not mercilessly measure them against their neighbors. He doesn't even compare them with each other. His gestures of compassion towards one do not require a withdrawal or denial of love for the other. He is divinely generous to both of these sons. Towards both of His children He extends charity. How can we overcome the tendency to be jealous in a world that constantly compares people, ranking them as more or less intelligent, more or less attractive, more or less successful? Along the way we can count our many blessings and we can applaud the accomplishments of others. Best of all, we can serve other's- the finest exercise  for the heart ever prescribed. We can cheer every talent and ability wherever it is bestowed, thus making life here more nearly what it will be like in heaven. We can always remember Paul's succinct prioritizing virtues, now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity. He reminds us that we are all the body of Christ, and that all members wether comely or feeble are adored, essential and important. We feel the depth of this plea that there be no schism in the body, but that the members have the same care for another, and when one member suffers, all members suffer with it, or when one member is honored, all the members rejoice.  ( 1 Corinthians 12:25-26 )


In this account that we read of  in Helaman of jealousy, we literally witness each "member" suffering the consequences of jealousy that began between brothers.


 In my own life, as one whom has been jealous in the past; and as a person whom truly rarely feels a smidge of jealousy or envy now; I can testify of the thing that helped me overcome my insecurities. The number one principle that I began to apply in my life is recognition that everyone here on this earth is part of my family. As I began to view each individual as my brothers and sisters; this love began to grow in my heart for the whole human race. I began to pray not just for immediate family, but for my church family as well, and for the church across the world daily. I pray that we all as members of His church could be strengthened in obedience and diligence in building His kingdom here upon the earth. 
I began to pray for those whom are not members of our church. I prayed that I could find those whom are seeking for truth. As my love grew for everyone, when I witness their success; I know that their success is my success too; as I have been praying for them. As I saw other's loving each other, I did not see it as a lack of love for me, but an opportunity for the person that I would seek love from to be able to be happy, and more experienced in how to have happy, and loving relationships with me. Even as I saw my husband work late and go out with friends often, I do not feel jealous with an understanding that these things make him happy; and that his happiness allows him to love me even more. As I see my Father in Heaven bless others with talents and abilities; I see how this is blessing me at the same time because they have covenanted to use their talents and blessings to help me and all of my brothers and sisters. I wrote a poem for a high school English assignment that is much like this thinking pattern that Paul discussed about being one. Although in high school I was not versed in this Bible scripture; I can see now that I was inspired by this truth; and desiring to write about a true principle. The principle is that none of us are more important than the other, as Elder Jeffery R. Holland stated in this conference talk, as he said, " No one of us is less treasured or cherished of God than the other. I testify that He loves each of us, insecurities, anxieties, self-image and all. " 
This is the poem I wrote at age sixteen:

Large in stature stand a tree, the leaves embedded, we can not see. 
Buried below the bark we discover, yet another creature of  Nature Mother.
One leaf on a tree insignificant appears, but the secured cocoon, shelters there without fears.
One branch of a tree, produces no lengthy fire, but the bird's nest is their home, where they'll learn to fly higher.
The trunk of the tree is the bearer of all, but with out all the rest, this tree would not be tall.


I am thankful that Jesus Christ whom has taught me this truth of being one with each other; and by His example of loving everyone; I have been blessed with a great joy, as I follow His example. I love Him so very much.

I say this in the name of Jesus Christ.Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment