Thursday, February 5, 2015

Atonement Works For Eternity

As I imagine this Nephi, the son of Helaman that we read about in the book of Helaman I see the miracle of the Atonement at work still and through eternity. As I think of this Nephi whom was named after the first Nephi whom faithfully left Jerusalem with his father Lehi ( Helaman 3:21 ), I see the fruit of Alma the Younger, and I see His good fruit being produced after he was gone, in the life of this Nephi - his great grandson. I feel the miracle of the Atonement as I think back to when Alma the Younger was destroying the church of God, and I can see that not a person could imagine how this wicked and rebellious man would be responsible for offspring that would lead the church generation after generation, and that even eight thousands of conversions would be a result of this lineage's testimony and work in the gospel. ( Helaman 5:17 ) I think about these generations and what caused them to stand so firm in their beliefs and how eventually this Nephi would be in a position of standing as a prisoner in the same prison that his great grandfather's dear friend Ammon also stood in, and that his faith would be so strong that the power of heaven was called down to help him in this prison ( Helaman 5:22-26 ). What produces a faith like this I ask? The answer is in the scriptures, or for this Nephi scriptures and the stories that his great grandfather told, as we know that Alma the Younger shared his conversion story over and over in the scriptures and to his posterity, as well as non-members. I can imagine that this Nephi as he was starving in prison and going to be taken to be killed; he must have been recalling the experiences that he knew that his great grandfather, grandfather, and father had. He may have thought about Alma's hardships in Melek and Ammmonihah? He may have been recalling his grandfather's friend Ammon being saved by the mercy of God from this same prison? His heart must have taken courage with the memory of these stories? This caused me to wonder if I share enough with my children about how I gained my testimony and true conversion, in order that they might be able to relate and hold onto my experiences, when they have their own trials? I wondered if I am sharing enough of my triumphs in the gospel? Sharing how a certain principle used to be difficult for me, but how I overcame my trial? And how the Lord helped me? I wonder if I share enough about the cost of my discipleship? We saw Nephi long to have been born in the time of the Nephi that he was named after ( Helaman 7:7-8 ), so clearly this Nephi was influenced by his heritage, and certainly he knew whom he was named after and what his name stood for? This reminded me that I can remind my children over and over about my conversion experiences as well, and that I can remind them whose name they take upon themselves when they are baptized, and what the outcome will be for them if they can endure. I am reminded that I must remind them there will be trials, hardships and that's part of life, but this truth, that, 

" We don't know when the game ends, nor the final score, but we know that we win." 

                                                                                                             Dallin H. Oaks , GC April 2004



I can show my children how Christ is winning now, by showing them how happy the gospel makes me as I live it. 

I say this in the name of Jesus Christ.amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment