Saturday, February 14, 2015

Choose a famine, rather than the sword



I have been struggling to keep up with the work load of taking care of my family, school work, my calling, and my job at the hospital. I have come to learn that something must be taken out of my schedule in order that I can be the mother and wife that I need to be in order to help my family have the spirit and feel safe and comfortable. 

As I was in the temple this week I was also praying about the chapters I have been reading for class and what I could learn from them. I turned to Helaman 11. As I was reading Helaman 11 : 4 , " Oh Lord, do not suffer that this people should be destroyed by the sword ; but Oh Lord , rather let there be a famine in the land to stir them up in remembrance of the Lord their God and perhaps they will repent and turn unto thee." My thoughts and feelings were different than they have ever been as I have read this verse before. I was able to understand that although my family is not at war, suffering death by the sword, I must be able to put teaching my children first, and I should have the faith like Nephi, who would rather go through a famine in the land, even knowing that would be hard; but in order that they might turn to the Lord and be safe in Him. In my life, I have everything that I need, and I enjoy taking care of patients at the hospital, and I enjoy having extra money to buy extra things, but I had the distinct feeling from the spirit speak to me in this verse that I should be willing to accept a famine of not working as much as I enjoy it; and not making that extra money, in order that I can prevent the swords of satan destroying my children as they do not have their Mother around as much when I am working more. I am so thankful for the temple, where we can serve and gain special insights for our own families. I did some research on this topic and this is what I found:

Group 3. President Ezra Taft Benson (student manual,237–38).
  • Mothers should be at the crossroads for their children, whether their children are six or sixteen.
  • A family suffers when the mother is absent.
  • Recent societal trends have fostered discontent in women who have chosen the role of wife and mother.
  • It is propaganda that some women are more suited for work than for family.
  • Women should not sacrifice their preparation for marriage just to prepare to make money.
  • Children need more of mother than money.

    Group 4. President Spencer W. Kimball (student manual,237).
    • Only in an emergency should women seek outside employment.
    • Many divorces can be traced to the day the wife left home for the workforce.
    • Two incomes raise the standard of living beyond the norm.
    • No career approaches the importance of wife, homemaker, and mother.
    • Some people afford luxuries but say they cannot afford children.

    • Only a mother can fulfill the role of mother.

      President Gordon B. Hinckley counseled, “In terms of your happiness, in terms of the
       matters that make you proud or sad, nothing—I repeat, nothing—will have so profound an effect on you as the way your children turnout” (in Conference Report, Oct. 2000, 67; or Ensign,Nov. 2000, 50). Couples who follow the counsel of the prophets concerning the importance of mothers staying home with their children when possible will be blessed.Repeat Elder Scott’s statement that mothers who are in unusual circumstances and have no choice but to work outside the home will also be blessed.
I am fortunate in my job at the hospital that I can schedule myself as little or as often as I would like. I am positive that the Lord's response to my seeking guidance was that I just need to schedule myself less at my hospital job, and especially reserve those Saturdays that my family can spend time all together as a time for us all to connect with each other, and teach in action. 

No comments:

Post a Comment