Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Temple

In 2 Nephi 5:16, we learn that Nephi did build a temple and he did construct it after the manner of the temple of Solomon. I am very thankful for the accounts that we have from the Old Testament, New Testament, Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants that explain that building and worshiping in temples is a pattern after which God's work is to take place. When I talk to my non-member friends I love to remind them about my religion practicing the same principles as taught by Jesus Christ himself, under the same organization, and even worshiping in temples as they did in the Old and New Testament times. I remind them about the people of Moses not only worshiping in temples, but that this worship was so important that they were commanded to carry with them  a portable temple that they could put up and take down on their journey ( Exodus 26-27 ). I remind them of even Jesus Christ showing His respect and teaching the sacredness of temples; showing forth an example by going to teach in the courts of the temple( Luke 2:40-52). I remind them of later in his ministry, He even became angered at the mistreatment of " His Father's House " , and turned over the table of the money changers in the temple ( John 2: 13-16 ). After receiving some feedback from my friends I always like to emphasize the enlightening fact that even in these temple there were rooms in the temple that only the Priests were allowed to enter, or in other words, those who were counted worthy ( A History of Temples, James E. Talmage , Ensign 2010 ). I have most often found these conversations about the ancient and modern temples to be one that is appreciated and very interesting to most individuals. I love the temple so very much. The work performed for the living and dead has daily impact on my life through the covenants that I have made. It brings me joy to have these moments of teaching with friends, that always leaves them with a better appreciation and understanding of His Holy House. I am thankful every time that a person does not view our temple worship as something unusual anymore, but more enlightening as the spirit professes truth to those with an open heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment