Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Being and Ensign Unto the Nations

In 2 Nephi 9:27 it says, " But, wo unto him that has the law given, yea, and that wasteth the days of his probation, for awful is his state!" This scripture in our reading assignment reminded me of my favorite parable given by Jesus Christ during his ministry on the earth. It is found in Matthew chapter " 25 ". In the Parable Of The Talents; Christ compares us to servants who are each given a certain amount of blessings, or in other words " talents"- the form of money at that time. To one servant the master gave five talents, to another he gave two and to the last he gave one. The purpose of this parable is to teach us what we should do with the blessings that we are given in our lives. The conclusion of this parable explains that the wise choice is for us to create more good out of what He has given us. He explains that the servant whom did not bring back any additional talents, but only buried the one he was given into the ground and brought it back to the master, had the talent taken from him; but to the servant who brought back and additional five talents, thus making more good out of what he was given, to him he said, " Well done thou good and faithful servant, thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of the Lord." Similarly, the scripture in 2 Nephi 9:27, provides a essentially the same message. As members of Christ's church we have His law given to us, and as well all of the blessings, or " talents " that come from having the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. We are warned in this scripture that if we waste the blessings given to us by not sharing them with others, or by not producing " more good fruit " from them, in the days of our probation our lives will be in an " awful state " . The Lord then again in this same chapter tells us through Isaiah in 2 Nephi 15:4; What more could I have done for you? I have given you all that you needed to produce more good fruit, but you produced wild grapes! Then He explains that the wall will be broken down that protects the vineyard and that it will be trodden down in 2 Nephi 15:5. The Lord does however explain again a few verses later in 2 Nephi 15:26-27, that there will still be some who will be His, and they will be an Ensign to the nations, given power , protection and strength by Him.
                       The question that I pose to myself is: Will I be one to be an ensign to the nations by sharing the gospel with my neighbors, family and friends? Will I be the faithful servant who made more with the blessings that I have been given? Or will I waste my knowledge of His restored gospel and leave myself in an " awful state? "

No comments:

Post a Comment