Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Influencing Others For Good

Persuading Others to Do What is Right 
I am particularly impressed with Nephi's continual love for his brothers Lamen and Lemuel. Lamen and Lemuel complained as they left Jerusalem, and then complained more as they were commanded to go and get the plates from Laban. As these brothers embarked on this great task, Nephi never ceased to lift his brothers up with encouragement, as you will recall in 1 Nephi 3: 15-16: Nephi says, " As the Lord liveth, and as we live, we will not go down unto our father in the wilderness until we have accomplished the thing which the Lord hath commanded us." In 1 Nephi 3: 21, Nephi says, " After this manner of language did I persuade my brethren, that they might be faithful in keeping the commandments of God." After each attempt to obtain the plates, Nephi continues to " persuade " his brothers to continue on in this important task. Even after his brothers did smite him with a rod,  ( 1 Nephi 3:28 ) Nephi did continue to encourage them. Nephi could have easily told the angel whom came to stop Lamen and Lemuel from hurting him, " Thank you, and I can do this task alone," but he did not. Nephi did " persuade " them again and did continue to lead his brothers in being faithful to the Lord. As well, Nephi reminded them that the Lord is mightier than all the earth ( 1 Nephi 4:1 ). Nephi was patient with his brothers, and he desired for their faith to be strengthened even at the cost of him being mistreated, and with the hard work of " persuading " them to keep this commandment they had been given. I think of my own life and I hope that I can be as patient with those who might complain, or not desire to be faithful to the Lord. I hope I can continually " persuade " them by allowing them to stay on the journey with me, so that their faith might be strengthened. As my husband is not LDS, and I feel such a desire for his faith to grow, I feel strengthened by Nephi's choice to continually " persuade " his rebellious brothers to do good.

No comments:

Post a Comment