Monday, April 20, 2015

Old Testament Insights- Elohim

 

As I begin reading in Genesis, in the Old Testament I must take into account the actual meaning of the words that were originally written in Hebrew. As I do this; the light of heaven is shed forth upon my heart professing a sacred truth that is lost from most of God's children; yet available to all who will hear....and a truth that is truly mine.

Genesis 1:1 - In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 

So what is the Hebrew name for God? Elohim. The name Elohim occurs more than 2,500 times in the Hebrew Bible in representation of our English word " God. " 

Taking into account the Hebrew name of God- Elohim is highly important because this word is plural, and translates rather to " Gods " not just God. 

From the " Dictionary of  Deity and Demons in the Bible " , an academic reference work by Kavel Vandertoorn, Peter W. Vander Host etc., noting this book was chosen by " Choice Magazine "  and the " American Library Association" as best reference work of 1996, I consider and am thankful for it's position on this subject as it states:

" Elohim which is translated to God in the Hebrew Bible is used as a true plural meaning "Gods". The related nouns Eloah and El are used as proper names and are interchangeable with Elohim. "

Mark Smith an American Professor and Biblical Scholar whom currently holds the Skirball Chair of Bible and Ancient Eastern studies in the department of Hebrew and Judaic studies at New York University states this: 

" The notion of the divinity underwent radical changes throughout the period of early Israelite identity. The ambiguity of the term Elohim is the result of such changes throughout the period of early Israelite Identity. In Example the re-interpretation of the Gods of the earliest recalled period emerged in the 7th to 6th century B.C.E. during the Babylonian Captivity, and further in terms of Monotheism by emerging  Rabbinical Judaism 2 Century C.E. Despite the " im " ending in Elohim common to many plural masculine nouns in Hebrew the name of God takes a singular verb in our translations of the English Bibles. " 

As we further our study on the topic of Elohim meaning " Gods" , not just " God" , we can turn the the scriptures and see  accounts of " Gods" meaning God the Father and Jesus Christ, not just one God, but two separate individuals in most cases.


1  Samuel   28: 13

  • Old Testament
13And the king said unto her, Be not afraid: for what sawest thou? And the woman said unto Saul, I saw gods ascending out of the earth. 


Psalms   82: 1 ,  6-7

  • Old Testament
1God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods. 
6I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High. 
7But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes. 


These are just two small examples I felt to add. 

The greatest testimony that is mine; that I wish to write upon is this fact that; despite scholars of the translation of the Bible and the interpretations that God and Jesus Christ are in fact separate individuals and that the creation of our earth and of man, did take place by them both; we have the greatest witness of this, in the account of a prophet of God, as he had an the earth changing experience with the " Gods"; Joseph Smith- Did in fact did see two Gods. As Joseph Smith describes himself in these words:

"I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me.
 1It no sooner appeared than I found myself delivered from the enemy which held me bound. When the light rested upon me I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other—This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!
 18 My object in going to inquire of the Lord was to know which of all the sects was right, that I might know which to join. No sooner, therefore, did I get possession of myself, so as to be able to speak, than I asked the Personages who stood above me in the light, which of all the sects was right (for at this time it had never entered into my heart that all were wrong)—and which I should join.
 19 I was answered that I must join none of them, for they were all wrong; and the Personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in his sight; that those professors were all corrupt; that: “they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof.”
 20 He again forbade me to join with any of them; and many other things did he say unto me, which I cannot write at this time. When I came to myself again, I found myself lying on my back, looking up into heaven. When the light had departed, I had no strength; but soon recovering in some degree, I went home."
 
God our Father and Jesus Christ desire for us to know who they are; and in a time that was prepared by them, for this mistake to be corrected; and this glorious truth to be revealed of their purpose for us their children; they did again reveal the truth through the Prophet Joseph Smith. I am eternally grateful for the gospel that Joseph Smith restored to the earth; and I feel to sing the song of redeeming love to all of my brothers and sisters that They left us in these truths that Jesus Christ is the way that we are redeemed; because He is our advocate with the Father and He has shown us the way that we can return to Him; through His Son, Jesus Christ. 
In the name of Jesus Christ. Amen. 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment