Saturday, April 4, 2015

Intermediate Judgment

Moroni tells us that " it is given unto you to judge". ( Moroni 7:15 )This can cause some arising questions on how to judge others because we so clearly know that Jesus also told us not to judge others; or to cast out the beam from out own eye before we can see clearly to case out the mote in our brother's eye. ( Matthew 7:8 )

There are some great answers found a wonderful talk about this question, by Dallin H. Oaks, titled " Judge Not and Judging." In this talk he states, " I have been puzzled that some scriptures command us not to judge and others instruct us to judge and even tell us how to do it. I am convinced that these seemingly contradictory directions are consistent when we view them with the perspective of eternity. The key is to understand that there are two kinds of judging: final judgement, which we are forbidden to make and intermediate judgement, which we are directed to make, but upon righteous principles. I believe that the scriptural command to " judge not " refers most clearly to this final judgement, as in the Book of Mormon declaration that " man shall not....judge for judgement is mine." ( Mormon 8:20 ) 
The effect of one mortal's attempting to pass final judgement on another mortal, is analogous to the effect on athletes and observe if we could proclaim the outcome of an athletic contest?

Joseph Smith stated, " While one portion of the human race is judging and condemning the other without mercy, the great parent of the universe looks upon the whole human family with fatherly care and paternal regard: He is the Law giver and will judge all men not according to the narrow contracted notions of men...not according to what they have. Those who have lived without law, will be judged with out law, and those who have a law, will be judged by that law." 

Church leaders are specifically commanded to judge ( Mosiah 26:29,32 ) 
Similarly in modern revelation the Lord appointed the  Bishop to be a judge in Israel, to judge over property and transgressions. ( D&C 8:17, 107 :72 ) 

The important principle to judging is contained in the Saviors commandment that we judge not unrighteously: but righteous judgement. ( Matthew 7:1-2 , John 7:24, Alma 41:14 ) 

First - This means we should not ever place final judgement: although we should give intermediate judgement. 
Second- Intermediate judgement will be directed by the Spirit, not by anger, jealousy or self-interest. The Savior taught that one of the missions of the comforter would be to assist in the judgement of the world by guiding the faithful into all truth ( John 16:13 ) 
Third- We should only give intermediate judgement within our stewardship. We should not presume to act upon judgement outside our personal responsibilities. 

As I spend lengthy parts of my life with those not of my faith, these teachings are of great worth to me. I learn from these instructions that I must only be charitable, patient and seek for intermediate judgement only when situations my directly affect the ability that I will have to have the Spirit with me; and as I have learned from these teachings; the Spirit will be the one to tell me when those intermediate judgement are necessary and what kinds of actions that I may need to take to keep myself in situations where the Spirit can stay with me. 

I continue daily to be so very thankful for a prophet and apostles whom are here leaving modern scriptures with me. 

I say this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment