Monday, April 6, 2015

Labor Diligently

After Jesus had resurrected and He came to the Sea of Tiberius to speak with His disciples; He left  His last message. As Jesus gave them of bread and fish he asked three times, do you love me? When their answers were yes, each time he said unto them, "feed my sheep". ( John 21:15-17 ) 

What an insightful lesson that we learn from this last message; we learn what is most important to our Savior Jesus Christ- Sharing His gospel to His children all over the world. 

As we enter the last few chapters of The Book of Mormon, I find this last message  in the Book of Mormon to be equally as convincing information that teaches us what is most important to our Precious Jesus Christ. As we read the words of Mormon that were written to His son Moroni we are given a powerful message:

In Moroni 9: 4 we learn that Mormon is still laboring continually among a people whom do " thirst after blood and revenge continually".

vs 5 states: " For so exceedingly do they anger that it seemeth me that they have no fear of death, and they have lost their love one towards another; and they thirst after blood and revenge continually. "

yet, Mormon says that even so; he can not give up on teaching them as he then states: " And now by beloved son, notwithstanding their hardness, let us labor diligently; for if we should cease to labor, we should be brought under condemnation, for we have a labor to perform whilst in this tabernacle of clay, that we may conquer the enemy of all righteousness and rest our souls in the Kingdom of God. " 

The questions that this powerful message causes me to pose to myself are: 

1. How many times do I feel frustrated about sharing the gospel with people because I think that they wont be able to accept the life style change? Yet, these people are not thirsting after blood and revenge. I ask; where do I excuse myself in giving up or not sharing with them? I am most certainly not validated in my frustrations or hold backs.

2. How many times do I not open my mouth to invite individuals to hear about my church because I think that it would be uncomfortable? Yet, here is Mormon teaching me that I must "labor diligently in order that my soul will rest in the Kingdom of God, " although his work it going towards vile sinners. Is it possible that I could even slightly understand what kind of discomfort Mormon must have felt as he experienced anger towards him; living among those who have no fear of death; and seeking revenge? This is not my situation in the community that I live in, filled  with churches on ever corner. So why do I feel justified in not inviting these special souls to my church?

3. How many times do I feel like giving up on my relatives or a friend because I think they are a lost cause, and so I do not even reach out to be their friend, check on them; or be the words of comfort or inspiration? Yet, these individuals are not murdering people as these that Mormon professed that He must not give up on. 

I find the pattern of " feeding His Sheep " as Christ's last chosen message; and one of the last messages of the Book of Mormon; to be a great witness of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon. 

I know with out doubt that our Heavenly Father loves each and everyone of us so deeply that He is in the very details of our lives and as our current prophet Thomas S. Monson stated in his talk titled, " Consider the Blessings " he says:

"Again, my brothers and sisters, our Heavenly Father is aware of our needs and will help us as we call upon Him for assistance. I believe that no concern of ours is too small or insignificant. The Lord is in the details of our lives."

These three witnessed combined in the New Testament; The Book of Mormon and quote from our prophet teach us that there is nothing more important to our God than all of our salvation. He will help all who reach out to Him; and He is begging us to help His children that we are surrounded by daily: in our work; neighborhoods; at the gas station; in the hair salon; where ever we are, we can feed His sheep; and just as He asks us to share the gospel; He will also provide us the strength and support to do it. Just as these people were in the end of the Book of Mormon extinct; He still did not give up on them; as he followed His pattern and fed His sheep or us; through the Book of Mormon. He did not let what Mormon and Moroni experienced go to waste; He helped them succeed in their work; as we are now reading the words on these pages. 

I am eternally grateful for this divine message of love that I have in the gospel of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. 

I say this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment