Thursday, December 18, 2014

Stirring up to Remembrance

Helping Stir Up A Remembrance 
In Alma 5:26, Alma says, " And now behold, I say unto you my brethren, if ye have experienced a change of heart, and if ye have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I would ask, can ye feel so now? "
 
As we do feel a change of heart and we become truly converted we will naturally have a desire to share the gospel. In the Oct. 2001 conference talk called, " Sharing the Gospel " , Dallin H. Oaks said, " Proclaiming the good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ is a fundamental principle of the Christian faith." 
 
Reading this week about the Lamenites whom were once wicked, but had become truly converted, we witnessed their conversion being so deep that they changed their name to The Anti-Nephi-Lehis and they buried their weapons of war. We witnessed them be willing to die, not only so they would not turn again to sin, and " stain their swords in the blood of their brethren" , but also in order to SHOW that they were truly converted unto the Lord, and to those Lamenites seeking to take their lives. This witness of faith was not in vain; it aided in the conversion of  more than one-thousand souls. ( Alma 24:15; Alma 24:21-27 )
 
This is not all- The bearing of this testimony as they were prostrated upon the ground in prayer; did  bring the second witness to these Lamenites; as Aaron and his brethren had previously preached unto them and were sorely rejected. Combined with the previous missionary work of Aaron and his brethren;" many of these Lamenites " were converted in the wilderness", as they began to be " stirred up to remembrance " of the words of Aaron and his brethren. ( Alma 25:6 ) 
 
Through this we learn that no testimony that we share could ever go to waste. Every time that we even so much as talk about our religion and faith in it; this is an opportunity for a little seed to be planted in someone's heart. As our neighbors,  non-member friends and acquaintances are provided with second witnesses; to our testimonies being born; they will also be " stirred up to a remembrance" of our words. 
 
And I say with Alma, not only , " if you have experienced a change of heart, can you feel so now? " but also, " If you do feel to sing the song of redeeming love, then how many people, after they die; that are not members of our church; will be " stirred up to a remembrance " of your words; because YOU shared your testimony with them while they were here on this earth? 
 
My goal is to have gospel conversations with everyone that I know that is not a member. This is something that can be done by asking how their weekend was? When they ask how my weekend was, I have the opportunity to share my testimony about my calling as I say, " Thanks for asking about my weekend. I had a great Sunday because I volunteer at my church through an assignment or calling in this way......" 
I can also share my testimony of the Book of Mormon by explaining to a neighbor who is having a hard time; how the Book of Mormon and reading it has helped get me through my trials.  As Christmas is almost here I can share my testimony by adding a card with the Articles of Faith on the plate of cookies that I bring to my neighbors. These are things that I hope and pray that I can do better; because I love Him; and I want to hasten the work of the missionaries here upon this earth; and on the other side. ( 1 Peter 3:19 ) 
 
I say this in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment