Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Missionary Miracle

As we read about Ammon and his mission to Ishmael, we have a wonderful example of what a servant of the Lord must posses in order to be a successful missionary, and one that can produce miracles! ( Alma 17 )
First Faith- Knowing that Ammon had been been on a mission for fourteen-years, with the Son's of Mosiah, and serving as their leader; as we see Ammon minister unto them before they go their separate ways; and blessing them- we get a clear picture of the kind of faith that Ammon had. ( Alma 17:18 )
In Ether 12:16, we learn that miracles can come only after they trial of one's faith. Moroni says, " Dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith." 
Second Charity- As Ammon entered the land of Ishmael the king is pleased with Ammon's desire to dwell among them, he offers Ammon his daugther for wife. Instead of accepting this offer, Ammon seeks to serve the Lord, by serving his fellow men. ( Mosiah 2:17 ) 
Third Desires Single To God's Glory- God knew that King Lamoni might believe that Ammon was a God after he produced the miracle of cutting off the arms of the robbers whom stole his sheep, but God also knew that Ammon was not seeking his own glory, but desiring to glorify Him. ( Alma 18:4 ) 
Fourth Hope- As Ammon saw the servants of King Lamoni scared and weeping, his heart was " swollen with joy", in hope that he could change the people's heart with a miracle. ( Alma 17:29 ) 
In D&C 4:5-6 it says , " And faith, hope, charity and love with an eye single to the glory of God qualify him for the work." 
A few verses later, after explaining necessary  qualities for missionary work; it explains what you then must DO.
Fifth Ask: As we see that Ammon possesses all of these things; he was worthy to ask for this miracle. In verse D&C 4:7 it says, 
" Ask and ye shall receive, knock and it shall be opened unto you. Amen. " 
In my life, I have had my own missionary work miracle. As I was befriending a neighbor who had been raised by an very inactive LDS father; I asked her to take the missionary discussions and she decided she would be baptized. The day of my friend's baptismal interview she had become very nervous about answering all the questions and being in an interview process made her nervous. 
I knew the Lord could help her jitters subside. I began to pray in my mind that I could know the words to say and that I could know how to help her. I reassured her there was nothing to fear; and no wrong answers to give. After thirty min. sitting in the car with her; praying in my head and reassuring her; a little bird flew over to the window of my car. It sat looking at us on the side mirror of my car. This was very unusual. Suddenly my friend stopped crying. She looked at me, smiled and opened her scriptures. She said, " Do you know what scripture I was reading this morning; and that this little bird reminded me of? " I said, " What scripture? " She opened her book mark to what she had been reading earlier that day, and read from Matthew 6:26, " Behold the fowls of the air; for they sow not; neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your Heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they? " 
My friend was no longer worried. She knew that she was being told that she would be taken care of in her baptismal interview. To some this may not seem like a big miracle, but to a person who had been praying over and over in my head for help for my friend, it was a big miracle that I will not forget. 
I know that miracles happen still this day; but I know that they do not come to those who seek them for a sign, to create  their faith. I know that miracles come " to those he hath chosen, because of their faith" . ( 1 Nephi 1:20 ) 
I am so thankful that my Father in Heaven answered my prayer that day. It was such a tender mercy to both her and myself. I love Him so very much.

I say this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment