Friday, May 6, 2016

Salvation, Greater Work, Answer to Prayer

 D&C 6:13 states, “there is no gift greater than the gift of salvation.”

“The world changes constantly and dramatically, constantly and dramatically, but God, His commandments, and promised blessings do not change. “ – L. tom Perry

D&C 82:1, “I the Lord am bound when ye do what I say, but when ye do not what I say, ye have no such promise.”

As I understand that of all the gifts that my maker could give me, I am promised as I keep His commandments, I am able more fully appreciate the blessing that I have been given in Eternal Salvation. When I have a bad day, or am feeling down about something, as I remember that I have the greatest gift there ever was, I can feel thankful and happy even amidst adversity.

D&C 7:5-6 explains the principle that the Lord values a “ greater work “ more, as it states, “ I say unto thee Peter, this was a good desire; but my beloved has desired that he might do more, or a greater work yet among men than what he has before done. Yea, he has undertaken a greater work; therefore I will make him as a flaming fire…”

“I slept and dreamt that life was a joy. I awoke and saw that life was a service. I acted and behold, service was a joy. “- Rabindranath Tagore

Matthew 25:21 The Lord gives the Parable of the Talents as He states, “ And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five, talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more. “

As I learn through the principle that the Lord values better and more work, It causes me to consider if I am using all that He has given me, including my circumstances to serve Him the most that I can? It causes me to consider the request that John The Beloved made, in which he desired to never stop his work, but continue on earth as long as possible to bring souls to Christ.

D&C 9:8-10 teaches the principle of coming to our own conclusions and making our own choices by studying questions out in our minds, and then asking in prayer if it is right to receive the answer as it states, “ But behold I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore you shall feel that it is right. But if it be not right you shall have no such feelings, but you shall have a stupor of thought that shall cause you to forget the thing which is wrong….”

“The Lord will not do for us what we can and should do for ourselves.” – Ezra Taft Benson

As I understand the principle of coming to my own conclusions and making decisions first and then taking them to the Lord to find confirmation that my plan or choice is correct, I recognize the way that the Lord desires for us to learn and grow, rather than Him just telling us what to do. I see the value of agency in this principle of studying things our in our mind and then taking our choice to prayer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment