Wednesday, January 20, 2016

New Testament- What Are Your Motivations?

When reading in Matthew 6 Jesus Christ states that we should not do alms before men. 

Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

As I ponder this scripture I know the principle of pure motivations is being taught.  Michael Ringwood of the Seventy calls the principle -  "Truly Good and With Out Guile " in his recent General Conference talk. 

Because only one chapter prior to this principle being taught - Jesus explains that " men should let their light shine before men that they may see their good works and glorify your father who is in Heaven"( Matt. 5:1 ) - we can see that we are commanded to share and be good examples, but the authentic motives are the key indicator to whether or not our actions are pleasing to and glorifying God. 

Michael explains in his talk: " Unfortunately there was a time in my life when I was motivated by titles and authority. I heard so many positive things about my brother serving and being a Zone Leader, I couldn't help but want those things said about me....I learned a lesson about this on my mission......Even more impressive than formal callings are the many who without the calling find ways to consistently serve and lift others." 

I found this quote to be helpful when assessing my own heart and motives? 

" Great men and women are always more anxious to serve than to have dominion." - Spencer W. Kimball 

I take great faith in knowing that the Lord looketh upon my heart and knows the thoughts and intents therein. ( 1 Sam. 16:1 , Alma 18:32 ) 

I desire more than anything to be pleasing to my Father, and I know that His work and His Glory is to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man( Moses 1:39 ), which is done within the gospel of Jesus Christ  - therefore I desire to help strengthen and bring all of my brothers and sisters here on this earth to Him or closer to Him. 

I say this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment