Monday, January 18, 2016

New Testament- Be Content With Your Wages


When reading in Luke 3 this week I found John the Baptist's instructions to be a powerful message for us today.
As John was teaching those whom had come to him for baptism, they asked him what they should do to be prepared  in order that they would not be that part that was " cast into the fire " 
( Luke 3:9 ) 
John gave instructions that we too need to follow in order to be prepared for Jesus Christ's Second Coming. 
He answered - 
Luke 3 :
11 He answereth and saith unto them, He that hath two coats, let him impart to him that hath none; and he that hath meat, let him do likewise.
12 Then came also publicans to be baptized, and said unto him, Master, what shall we do?
13 And he said unto them, Exact no more than that which is appointed you.
14 And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages.
As for myself, I know that I need to give more often of the blessings and things that I have been given, or give of  coats and food.
As for myself, I know that I need to not take unto myself more than is needful. 
As for myself, I know that I need to be happy with the income that my family makes, and not seek to make more money in order that I can have fancier or more entertaining things for myself.
 I need to use the extra time that it would have taken for me to obtain more wages - to be in service to Him in my church callings more fully - reach out to befriend my neighbors better, and most importantly spend that time rather on - teaching my children the gospel through example of righteous work and scripture study. 
Hearing these instructions allowed me to know some changes that I still need to make in myself and the desires of my heart to be more pure before Him.
I say this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment