Sunday, May 31, 2015

My Spirit Shall Not Always Strive With Man




In Genesis 5&6 we see in 5:32 that Noah was five-hundred years old.  In Genesis 7:5-6, we see that Noah was " six-hundred years when the flood of waters was upon the earth ".

This is one way that we can see that Noah was given 100 years to preach righteousness unto the wicked men that he lived among.

One of those witnesses of Noah working to persuade those around him to choose to be righteous is found in the New Testament :

Peter 2: 5

  • New Testament
5And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness , bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly; 

An impacting statement from Genesis 6, in regards to Noah and the reason for God flooding the whole earth is found, as we read:

Genesis 6:12 

" And God looked upon the earth and behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted his way upon the earth. "

As well, in Genesis 6 :3 as it states:

" And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh; yet his days shall be one-hundred and twenty years. "

One of the most important things that we learn from the account of Noah and the Ark is the value of faith and obedience to our Father in Heaven. 

In Faith Precedes the Miracle  we read :

As Noah Preached 

" There was no evidence of rain and flood. Noah's people mocked him and called him a fool. His preaching fell on deaf ears. His warnings were considered irrational. There was no precedent; never had it been known that a deluge could cover the earth. How foolish to build an ark on dry ground with the sun shinning and life moving forward as usual! but time ran out. The ark was finished. The floods came. The disobedient and rebellious were drowned. The miracle of the ark followed the faith manifested in its building." 

Because those Noah lived among were so wicked, they were " past feeling " as Mormon describes of the wickedness of his people to Moroni, he states :

Moroni 9:20

  • Book of Mormon
And now, my son, I dwell no longer upon this horrible scene. Behold, thou knowest the wickedness of this people; thou knowest that they are without principle, and past feeling; and their wickedness doth exceed that of the Lamanites. 

Not only was " Gods spirit not always striving with man " referring to Noah preaching for that time, and their eventual destruction in the flood ( Genesis 6:3 ), but it is also reminding us that God's Spirit or the Holy Ghost, can not dwell among those whom are not willing to listen, or whom are " past feeling " or can not be touched by the spirit any longer. 

A couple of days ago I was watching a movie with my husband. His standards of movies and their content is much different than mine. I thought it would be okay because of the rating of this movie. However, I was left to be gasping at a scene that I wish I had not seen. After discontinuing my viewing of this movie, and the next day, I felt I should express to my husband why I am so careful about the movies that I watch. I explained to him that that scene had come to my mind since the occasion of first seeing it, and I had not liked it, even the first time that I saw it, it had upset me. 

What my husband proceeded to tell me explains perfectly what "past feeling" is, and because he said it himself, I do not show disrespect as he witnesses himself of what is happening here. 

My husband explained, " Well, I do not have recollections of scenes like that coming into my mind, after I watch them, because I am " used to it ". They do not affect me the same. It doesn't bother me or upset me, because I am used to it." 

This was a perfect description of being " past feeling ". 

When we allow ourselves to do things that are offensive to the spirit of God, or if we continually expose ourselves to offensive material before God, His spirit does not continue to manifest it's error to us. 

I am so thankful for the gift of the Holy Ghost in my life. He is a wonderful influence for me as He gives me thoughts and feelings that remind me what is, and what is not,  pleasing to my God.  

Although, I am not finished with my entries about Noah and the flood, I end with the reminder in the New Testament, that explains; When Christ comes again, it will be just as in the days of Noah:

Matthew 24:

 37 But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
 38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark,
 39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
 40 Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
 41 Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
 42 ¶Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.

There is nothing that I want more in my life than to be able to stand before my Savior Jesus Christ, bow at His feet, kiss His feet, and express great love to Him. I can not wait to thank Him in person, for the mercy, and chance that He has given me, to be His Servant. 

I say this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment