Sunday, June 14, 2015

Marry in the covenant



As I considered my own marriage and Genesis Chapter 6, I was hesitant to share. I thought upon this doctrine all week, and I decided I absolutely must include this for my posterity.

With that in mind, I want to carefully explain that in no way do I desire to belittle my precious marriage that I am extremely thankful for. I am thankful for the endless patience that my husband has with me, and for the chance to raise my children in a loving home in this broken world...I do however, wish to express the truthfulness found in this scripture account.

In Genesis 6, as the warning of the flood begins, a reference to forming non-believing families is given.

Genesis 6 : 2 states:

The sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

When individuals believe in Christ and follow Him, they become " His sons " or " His daughters".

 From this we learn, that the " daughters of men " are the daughters of men who were not believers of Christ. This means that they were not taught the principles of righteousness, and were not followers of God's laws.

Living righteously can be difficult even with the support of our families lifting us up, and helping us to make good choices. When we do not have the help, or companionship of one whom desires to serve God, it is easier for many to just give up. 

This is one reason those in Noah's time had become so wicked, was because they were not marrying within the church, which allows for support, help and strength to do better.

In a recent General Conference talk given by D. Todd Christopherson, titled, " Why Marriage, Why Family " , he explains the importance of having a righteous family. He explains that this provides the best teaching, and a higher likelihood of returning a child back to their Heavenly Father.


"A family built on the marriage of a man and woman supplies the best setting for God’s plan to thrive—the setting for the birth of children, who come in purity and innocence from God, and the environment for the learning and preparation they will need for a successful mortal life and eternal life in the world to come. " 

When children are born into a home of  parents whom are " sons of God ", that have made and keep sacred covenants; the chances that the child will be reared with gospel truths, and desire to make and keep sacred covenants themselves,  are much higher. 

I am a personal witness that choosing to marry outside of God's laws and available blessings is a challenging experience. Like those " sons of God " whom married " daughters of men " were warned that they must change; I too have been warned. My response has been working with all diligence and loving Him.

I find God's warnings  to those wicked men among Noah to be very merciful on His part.
I am also a witness that if they would have listened, God would have helped them to change, as He gives me daily strength, courage and tender mercies that allow me to move forward with faith that I can become more like Him. He is so patient and loving to myself and my family. I am so thankful.


I say this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment