Saturday, January 24, 2015

Keeping what I have been entrusted with sacred

In Alma 37 we had the privlidge of reading the great missionary Alma's counsel to his sons. As I read the counsel that Alma gave to his son Helaman, it reminded me of my own privileges, duties and personal work of serving the Lord while I am on the earth.

I learned as I likened Helaman's counsel to my own " sacred duties and privileges " :

In Alma 37:14 it reads: " And now remember my son, that God has entrusted you with these things which are sacred, which he has kept sacred, and also which He will keep and preserve for a wise purpose in Him that He may show forth His power unto future generations. And now I tell you by the spirit of prophecy that if ye transgress the commandments of God, behold these things which are sacred shall be taken away from you by the power of God, and ye shall be delivered up unto satan that he may sift you as a chaff before the wind. But if ye keep the commandments of God and do these things which are sacred according to that which the Lord doth command you, ( For you must appeal unto the Lord for all things whatsoever ye must do with them ) Behold, no power on earth or hell can take them from you, for God is powerful to the fulfilling o fall His words. For He will fulfill all His promises which He shall make unto you for He has fulfilled His promises which He has made unto our fathers."

As I entered the waters of baptism and as I entered His Holy Temple to make covenants with God, I too was entrusted with things that are sacred, and I know that He asks me to keep sacred covenants for " a wise purpose in Him" as well; in order that I can be means of blessing "future generations", just as Helaman was also an instrument in blessing " future generations" , as the scriptures continue to say, " many thousands of Lamenites " were brought to the knowledge of the truth" and that " He will also still show forth His power in them unto future generations," ( Alma 37:18-19 ). "

We can easily forget in our day to day routine that we too have been asked to help preserve something very sacred- The restored gospel of Jesus Christ, and as we keep our baptismal and temple covenants, we are using what we have been entrusted with the correct way, by keeping it sacred. 

Just as Helaman is warned about what will happen if he does not keep his sacred work of preserving the plates, we are warned by the prophet Joseph Smith whom has said:

" Before you joined this church you stood on neutral ground. When the gospel was preached, good and evil were set before you. You could choose either or neither. There were two opposite masters inviting you to serve them. When you joined this church you enlisted to serve God. When you did that you left the neutral ground, and you can never get back onto it. Should you forsake the Master you enlisted to serve, it will be by the instigation of the evil one and you will follow his dictation and be his servant.

                                                                                                                                                                             Teachings of the Presidents of the church: Joseph Smith p.324 

Just like Helaman the promised blessing to me as I keep what I have been given sacred are endless....literally endless because they will last through eternity.

Some of the promised blessings of keeping my baptismal covenants are:
1, Children of Christ ( Matthew 28:19 )
2, To be a member of God's church ( Romans 6:5 )
3,To have the chance for eternal life ( Mark 16:16 )

some of the promised blessings of keeping temple covenants  were given to the Saints in D&C 109. President Howard W. Hunter said that, " This prayer continues to be answered upon us individually, upon us as families and upon us as a people because of the Priesthood power the Lord has given us to use in Holy Temples."

1. The Lord's glory will be upon them
2 They will leave the temple with the Lord's power, name and glory, and angels will have charge over them.
3. They will take the truth of the gospel from the temple to the ends of the earth.
4. They will be caught up to meet the Lord and be with Him forever.
5. Their families and all of their sick and afflicted will be remembered before the Lord.

I know that as a member of His church I have a sacred responsibility to keep what I have been given sacred, by treating it sacred. When I remember how sacred the Book of Mormon that I have access too is, I am keeping it sacred by reading it and sharing what I learn with my family, and as well reading it to my children. When I remember how many past prophets and apostles have died to keep his sacred gospel alive, I feel it a privlidge to have it, and thus try harder to not just be on time to my easily accessible church building, but to be early to partake in weekly meetings. When I remember the sacred temple that so many past saints gave even their personal belongings to build, I know that I am keeping their work sacred by attending the temple often; even sacrificing other activities that may be important; but not as important as keeping the temple sacred in my heart.
My opportunities to keep this gospel safe and sacred for my family to continue on in His work are many; but every opportunity is a privlidge that I am thankful for.
I love this gospel that has been entrusted to me. I love the things that I have been asked to keep sacred in the temple; and I hope and pray that I can be as successful at it as Helaman was and is.

I say this in the name of Jesus Christ.Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment