Thursday, January 15, 2015

Illness of the " ites "

So many times as a Mother I have found myself quick to read up on the symptoms of an illness going around my community. I wonder what signs that I should look for in my children, so that I may be prepared if they are getting ill? Many times I look for these symptoms and causes before anyone ever becomes sick in my home. It is a blessing that in the scriptures we have many symptoms of "spiritual sickness", and that we can learn about the causes to the very deadliest of illnesses; in the scriptures. We only need to be interested in and seeking to find the ways to stay "spiritually healthy", and avoid "spiritual sickness " as we read our scriptures; we will find the answers.
 
As we study Alma chapter thirty-one, we can learn about some of the symptoms of  "spiritual illness" from the people called the Zoramites. As we read the about the Zoramites as a wicked and perverse people; we also witness what some of the first steps to losing complete faith in Christ, might be? As the Zoramites claim the belief in Christ to be a " foolish tradition " , we are given examples of behavior that we can seek to avoid, as we turn to Him in prayer and as we diligently seek to do what is right, we can avoid this " ite illness ".( Alma 31:17 ) 
 
When reading about the Zoramites I found myself wondering if I may be exhibiting any of these signs in the practice of my own faith, making me a " Mormonite" or " Christianite "? I hope to stay away from any of these causes of eventual DEATH.
 
1. Placing ourselves above others. Do I feel that because I have the Gospel that I am better than my earthly brothers and sisters that do not yet have the Gospel? Do I reach out to get to know and befriend those whom do not have the Gospel as readily as those who do? 
 
( Alma 31: 16 : " Holy God, we believe that thou has separated us from our brethren. " , " But we believe that thou hast elected us to be thy Holy Children." )
 
2. Praying with out real or deep feeling to our Father in Heaven. Do my prayers seem repetitive? Do I ponder about what I will pray about to my Father, before I begin, or do I pray to say that I did it, or check it off a list? 
 
( Alma 31:20 " For behold every man did go forth and offer up these same prayers." )
 
3. Sabbath Day Christians. Do I go to church on Sunday and partake of the Sacrament, but then come home and think no more about my Savior or about what I can do to serve him? Do my daily conversations seem to be about " worldly " things reflecting the desires of my inner heart, or what is most important to me?
 
( Alma 31:23 " Now after the people had all offered up thanks after this manner, they returned to their homes, never speaking of God again until they had assembled themselves together again." )
 
4. Hearts set upon material possessions. Do I work in my life for the next best product available to buy? During my free time would I be more likely to surf the web searching for things I could buy, or ways that I could help those that I love, or ways to become a better Mom and wife? 
 
( Alma 31:24 , Alma 31, 28 : " Yea, he saw their hearts were set upon gold and silver and upon all manner of fine goods. " , " Behold, oh my God their costly apparel and their ringlets and their bracelets, and their ornaments of Gold, and their precious things which they are ornamented with, and behold their hearts are set upon them." ) 
 
5. Bragging and Pride. Do I seek to put myself above others? Do I post things on Social Media in order to get a certain response from people, or because I want others to view me in a certain way? Do I seek to put myself above others  in my educational goals, callings, or yearly income status? Am I driven to become better than the next person, or do I want to better myself in order to serve my God better? Am I more interested in associating with or being friends with someone because of their popularity, income, apparel, or occupation? 
 
( Alma 32:5  " Behold, what shall these my brethren do, for they are despised of all men because of their poverty, yea more especially by our Priests." ) 
 
I am thankful to have these warnings and an incredible wealth of teachings that help to avoid and cure "spiritual illness "; in our scriptures. One of my favorite ways to avoid " ite illness " is taught after Alma witnessed the Zoramite's religious practices and daily behavior. Alma teaches, " Behold their souls are precious and many of them are our brethren; therefore give unto us, Oh Lord, power and wisdom that we may bring these our brethren again unto thee." ( Alma 31:35 ) thus we see that no matter the behavior of individuals or their treatment of us, we can and should still value them as " precious. "
 
I say this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment