Saturday, January 24, 2015

Acknowledge His Mercy

In Alma 38, Alma teaches his son Shiblon to " acknowledge his unworthiness before God at all times." ( Alma 37:14 ) 

To be humble is a requirement for all spiritual development according to many prophets and apostles.

"All progress in spiritual things is based upon the prior attainment of humility." Bruce R. McConkie

“Brothers and sisters, this mortal experience through which we are passing is one in which beauties abound; subtleties and delicacies are all about us, waiting to be noticed. Wonders are everywhere to be seen. It is, however, the observing meek, who will contemplate the lilies of the field, will ponder the galaxies and see God moving in His majesty and power. It is also the meek who will notice, and then lift up, those whose hands hang down (see D&C 81:5).
Peter waxed poetic when he urged “the Ornament of a meek and quiet spirit” (1 Peter 3:4). The meek and quiet spirit, which Peter recommended, is essential to our happiness here and hereafter, men and women alike.” Neal A. Maxwell, Meekly Drenched in Destiny, BYU Devotional Address, September 1982


Humility is that quality that permits us to be taught from on high through the Spirit or to be taught from sources whose origin was inspiration from the Lord, such as the scriptures and the comments of the prophets.  Humility is the precious fertile soil of righteous character.  In it the seeds of personal growth germinate.  When cultivated through the exercise of faith, pruned by repentance, and fortified by obedience and good works, such seeds produce the cherished fruit of spiritual direction.  Divine inspiration and power then result – inspiration to know the will of the Lord, power to provide the ability to accomplish that inspired will. – Elder Richard G. Scott, “The Transforming Power of Faith and Character,” Ensign, November 2010, p. 43-46

The greatest example that we have of humility is our Savior Jesus Christ. Even though He is our Savior; and he suffered incomprehensible pain and suffering on our behalf; He always mentioned His Father when he was here on the earth. He was always directing us on whom we should give the credit too. I love His great humility and example of how we should be that He left us. 

John 6:44 " No man can come unto me, except he doeth the will of my Father who hath sent me."

Matthew 19:17 " And He said unto me, why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is God."

John 14:28  " Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice because I said I go unto the Father; For my Father is greater than I. " 

I want to become more humble. I have so many blessings that I do feel in constant awe of how the selfish individual that I used to be could have ever deserved any of my many blessings? Even now as I am not as selfish, but still working on it,  I know that there is nothing that I could do in my life to ever make up for all the mercy that He has shown me in the past, and continually shows me in my life each and every day. My Father in Heaven is so incredibly patient with me. I do hope that I can become better at being more humble, and become better at showing Him how thankful that I am for all the many wonderful blessings that He gives me, through my daily choices, and through choosing correctly what to spend my time on, in order to serve Him better. I love Him so very much. I hope that I can make Him happy. 

I say this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment