Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Asking For Signs and Miracles

As we continue reading in Alma Thirty, we witness the anti-Christ Korihor coming into the land of Zarahemla as he; " Preached unto the people against the prophecies which had been spoken by the prophets concerning the coming of Christ." ( Alma 30:6 )
In our day we are surrounded by anti-Christ's. In 1 John we witness the Apostle John had written a letter to the saints warning them about anti-Christs. After John's warning, he gives a clear description of what an anti-Christ is; " Little children, it is the last time; and as ye have heard that the anti-Christ shall come even now are there many anti-Christs. ( 1 John 2: 18 ) " Who is a liar but he who denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is anti-Christ that denieth the Father and Son." ( 1 John 22-23 )
A clear characteristic of an anti-Christ is lack of faith and even the desire to have no faith, as we see Korihor profess, " I always knew that there was a God." ( Alma 30:52 )
As Korihor asked for a sign we learn that witnessing signs does not produce faith. After Korihor did receive his sign of being struck dumb, Alma explains that if God were to reverse this sign Korihor would, " Again lead away the hearts of this people." ( Alma 30:55 )
Another example that we have of signs not producing faith comes at a time when Jesus Christ himself had gone into " his own country " and as He was performing miracles it was said, " Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James and Joses and of Juda and Simon?" ( Mark 6:3 ) , and Christ could, " do no mighty work " among them. ( Mark 6:5 )
Thus we see through these things that Our Father in Heaven and His Son Jesus Christ are merciful and loving as they desire to protect the unbelieving children from further condemnation of receiving a sign before faith has been established.
For those whom do not believe that God produces miracles or whom may be seeking a sign; a consideration of these examples and as well Mormon 9: 19- 21 could give deeper understanding?
Mormon 9: 19-21
" And if there were miracles wrought then why has God ceased to be a God of miracles and yet be an unchangeable being? And behold I say unto you he changeth not; if so he would cease to be God; and he ceaseth not to be God, and is a God of miracles. And the reason he ceaseth to do miracles among the children of men is because they dwindle in unbelief and depart from the right way and know not the God in whom they should trust.
Behold, I say unto you that whoso believe in Christ, doubting nothing whatsoever he shall ask the Father, in the name of Christ it shall be granted him; and this promise is unto all, even unto the end of the earth."
In my own life I have been very close some whom are not sure if they believe in Jesus Christ? I myself have even sought after signs or miracles upon the matter of my relationships with them? As I have put my faith as first priority, doubting nothing, but turning to Him in prayer; with full submission to His will in my life; miracles of light have been shed on my situation. The miracle of added strength has been provided for me, and deeper understanding has been provided for me. Elder Jorg Klebignat , of the Seventy expressed a statement that I have fully witnessed in my life, through faith in Jesus Christ. Jorg explains that there is a a kind of Faith in Christ—a " kind of faith that produces a steady stream of tender mercies and even mighty miracles " ( Approaching the Throne of God with Confidence , General Conference Oct.2014 ) This kind of faith exists, and I witness that I have experienced those blessings that are a miracle.
I say this in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment