Tuesday, February 16, 2016

The Harvest is Great

In Luke 10 verse 2 the message the Savior gives to His apostles and seventy, (which He had " appointed " vs.1 ) , allows us to see that He is not only calling those apostles, seventy or even the missionaries to do His work; but any " Labourer " that would be willing. We see Christ instruct these seventy and apostles to pray to be able to find more         " labourers".
 
Luke 10:2
Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest.
 
As I consider the disheartening fact that Jesus Christ - The One whom has given His life, and all that He has - to bring men the chance for immortality and eternal life - does not have enough followers whom desire to work for Him - I can't help by consider why? Why do people not want to work for our Savior in His cause and His work?
 
Perhaps we think we are not called to do His work of sharing the gospel, ministering on His behalf or that we are not responsible for building His kingdom upon the earth?
 
To me this scripture account shows that Christ does not only want to find individuals whom would be willing to believe in Him and repent - He wants individuals to be found that would be willing to also "Labour" for Him. ( Labour is a word that suggests work beyond just belief )
 
Another consideration that I had  pertained to some of my own distractions that sometimes keep me from focusing on little ways that I could be sharing the gospel or " labouring " for Him.
 
The scripture that came to mind in Matt.8:21-22 taught me. In this scripture one of Christ's disciples tells Christ that He would like to follow Him and come with Him onto the boat, but he explains that his father has passed away and he would like to go bury him first?
 
Matt. 8:21-22
 
And another of his disciples said unto him, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.
But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury the dead.
 
As Christ tells this disciple " let the dead bury the dead " He is basically saying those whom are not willing to " labour" for me can bury your father, come - don't let your work wait.
 
I remember all the times that I have told myself that I needed to get one more thing done before I could follow a prompting that I had concerning a  way that I can " labour for Him".
 
I remember the times that I have told myself " what I am doing is good . I can pray more fervently about ways to " labour " for Him tomorrow".
 
As I read this instruction from Christ to His disciple I understand that we can be distracted by good things that we should and can do in our lives, but first and for most we should pray about which way that He would like us to " labour " for Him that day? And whom can we reach out to that day? Perhaps there is a person whom would desire to " labour " for Him with an invitation by us, and the confirmation of the spirit - if only we shared?
 
In the Oct.2013 General Conference our Beloved Prophet Thomas S. Monson echo's Christ's message to His apostles and disciples :
 
"Now is the time for members and missionaries to come together, to work together, to labor in the Lord’s vineyard to bring souls unto Him. He has prepared the means for us to share the gospel in a multitude of ways, and He will assist us in our labors if we will act in faith to fulfill His work." - ( Welcome to Conference , Thomas S. Monson )
 
I want to be my Savior's " labourer ". I want to help find those individuals whom love Him and desire to have the fullness of His gospel. I pray that I can more fervently seek to find His will for me each day, and whom I can reach out to and help share the gospel with, for Him.
 
I say this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment