Sunday, September 13, 2015

Abraham was a peacemaker

In Genesis 13 we witness Abraham going to the altar that he had built up unto the Lord twice in this chapter. This is a reminder to us that although we do not build altars and perform blood sacrifices unto the Lord today, we do pay our tithing and we promise to sacrifice all that we have unto the Lord, which includes our time and our talents. 

We learn from Abraham about this principle of sacrifice not only in his sacrificing his best animals upon the altar but also making personal sacrifices by being unselfish as he allows Lot to choose whatever part of the land he may like, without taking need for his own desires- in order that he can keep the peace between their people and themselves. 

So often times so many of our trials come because we are not sacrificing our unnecessary needs or wants in order to keep peace.

In the past I wanted my house, my circumstances, my possessions to be exactly how I wanted them - to the point that I was not at peace with the way things were going. 

One of the greatest quotes that has helped me to let go of my desires that are not essential was said:

" Come what may and love it. " 

As we sacrifice our desires in order to give to another, or to keep the peace we are blessed with happiness. 

I am sure that Abraham may have liked to choose his land first, but he sacrificed not just in tithing but by sacrificing the human nature with in- the nature to be selfish and competitive. 


 8 And Abram said unto Lot, Let there be no strife, I pray thee, between me and thee, and between my herdmen and thy herdmen; for we be brethren. 9 Is not the whole land before thee? separate thyself, I pray thee, from me: if thou wilt take the left hand, then I will go to the right; or if thou depart to the right hand, then I will go to the left. 10 And Lot lifted up his eyes, and beheld all the plain of Jordan, that it was well watered every where, before the Lord destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, even as the garden of the Lord, like the land of Egypt, as thou comest unto Zoar. 11 Then Lot chose him all the plain of Jordan; and Lot journeyed east: and they separated themselves the one from the other.

I know when we submit ourselves to keeping the peace , we actually gain the greatest peace. I have felt great peace as I have sacrificed my unnecessary desires. 

I say this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment