Wednesday, April 20, 2016

DOCTRINE AND COVENANTS - INTRO AND SECTION 1


I am really excited to be taking D&C as my Religion Course this semester! I can already tell it is going to be a great learning opportunity for me - I hope you will enjoy learning along with me as I share some of the things that I am learning. Love - Emily :)


1.       What do the Lord’s prophets want me to know about the Doctrine and Covenants?
 
I. The Doctrine and Covenants is a collaboration of divine revelations and declarations that have been provided by the Lord, for the purpose of building up and securing proper organization of God’s church on the earth.

A. Intro to D&C, 1stParagraph                                                                                                       
  
B. As I understand that the writings in D&C come directly from the Lord I will take the messages deeper into my heart, and desire at a deeper level to heed their counsel and warnings.

II.The Doctrine and Covenants are not only a message to the members of Christ’s Restored Church, but also messages to the entire Human race.

A.Intro to D&C, 1st Paragraph

B. Recognizing that D&C was written for the entire world allows me to see the love that my Father in Heaven has for all of His children.
 
                            III. Because God’s Church was restored to the Earth again through Joseph Smith, the Lord through His Prophet and Disciples are able to set forth written explanations in regards to the doctrines of His church.
 
A.Intro to D&C, 8th Paragraph

B.As I know that the Lord desires to clear up questions and shed more light on the doctrines of His church, I am able to see His pattern of having a prophet to lead His church and people on the Earth. As I know the Lord desired for a record to be kept in the way of the Doctrine and Covenants  I can see the pattern of continuous revelation being given across time – throughout the Old and New Testament, an even today through our modern prophets.
 
2.       What does the Lord want me to know about the Doctrine and Covenants?
 
I.His voice is going to be heard by all men everywhere and nothing will be able to stop the going forward of His words through the Doctrine and Covenants and His prophets.
               
                A.D&C 1:2, D&C 1:5

                B. Despite the trials that preceded  the printing and publication of the Doctrine and Covenants, as I read these sacred instructions even now and each day; I can see the prophesy that nothing would stop the whole world from having His words and instructions in live fulfillment before my eyes.
 
II. The Doctrine and Covenants is a voice of warning to all people that was given from Him to His Disciples to share.
 
                A.D&C 1:3-4

                BAs I see a warning given to all the world through the Doctrine and Covenants, I can see God’s patterns at work; Just as Noah received a warning about the coming flood, Lot that Sodom and Gomorrah would be destroyed, Lehi to flee Jerusalem that would be destroyed, our bodies getting tired, and achy just before we get sick, the clouds in the sky before the storm arrives, and the list goes on…. God always gives warnings and I see this pattern revealed again through the Doctrine and Covenants.
 
III. The Disciples who share the messages in the Doctrine and Covenants are sealing the fate of individuals to the measure which they followed His gospel as prescribed throughout the order and commandments revealed in the Doctrine and Covenants.
 
A.D&C 1:9-10

B. With knowledge that the messages and Disciples of Christ are sealing our futures gives a heightened sense of awareness to the respect that I should pay to the past and present prophets words written or spoken.      
   
                                IV.D&C is given to increase faith and have covenants established
                                                                
                                          A.D&C 1:21-22
                                                                                                                                                                                   B. As I read the Doctrine and Covenants I can be certain my faith will increase as I see temples being built across the world, which will enable individuals to make covenants with God. I will also desire to keep my covenants more perfectly as I see the purposes of the Doctrine and Covenants coming to pass.

         V. Search the Doctrine and Covenants because the written promises will be fulfilled.
                                               

                                 A.D&C 1:37     
                              
                                 B.I gain great peace as I know that the promises that are given in the Doctrine and Covenants will come to pass. Instead of wondering or worrying about my future in the eternities; as I know that the written promises will be fulfilled; I know that my time is better spent understanding the instructions given and following through with the directions in action.
 
          VI. If the Lord’s servants spoke something in the Doctrine and Covenants it is just as if the Lord had spoken it.
                               
                       A.D&C 1:38  

                       B. Knowing that the servants of the Lord’s words are just as good as His words allows me to take great faith in not only the writings in the Doctrine and Covenants but also the words of the modern prophets in General Conference, Stake Conference, and even from Stake Presidents and Bishops spoken to me as an individual.
 
I am in awe at the little amount of text that I was able to learn such a great deal from as I studied the Lord’s Preface and the First Section of the Doctrine and Covenants. As I learned so much I am now very excited for the study of the entire Doctrine and Covenants.
 
I say this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment