Sunday, October 25, 2015

Have Thine Own Way Lord

Before moving from Genesis 16 it must be mentioned that Abraham was commanded to take Hagar to wife.

D&C 132: 34-35

 34 God commanded Abraham, and Sarah gave Hagar to Abraham to wife. And why did she do it? Because this was the law; and from Hagar sprang many people. This, therefore, was fulfilling, among other things, the promises.
 35 Was Abraham, therefore, under condemnation? Verily I say unto you, Nay; for I, the Lord, commanded it.
As I ponder this- I feel this is an extremely hard trial and I am thankful that I am not asked to do this in this dispensation. 

Some scriptures came to my mind as I pondered this difficult situation of Sariah, Abraham and Hagar :

1 Nephi 11:17

 17 And I said unto him: I know that he loveth his children; nevertheless, I do not know the meaning of all things.

Isaiah 55:8-9 

 ¶For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.
 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
 

Mosiah 4:9

Believe in Godbelieve that he is, and that he created all things, both in heaven and in earth;believe that he has all wisdom, and all power, both in heaven and in earth; believe that man doth not comprehend all the things which the Lord can comprehend.
I was thankful also for the words I read in a recent talk that I read earlier this week. I was thankful and knew I was led to read the correct talk as I considered all week what I needed to last leave written for my children. 
From " Yielding our  Hearts to God " by Neil F. Marriott:
Have Thine own way, Lord!
Have Thine own way!
Thou art the Potter;
I am the clay.
Mould me and make me
After Thy will,
While I am waiting,
Yielded and still.2

So trusting my all to thy tender care,
And knowing thou lovest me,
I’ll do thy will with a heart sincere:
I’ll be what you want me to be.10

Lastly, I consider the words from the incredible Neal A. Maxwell in his talk titled, " Sharing Insights From My Life " , 

"The submission of one’s will is really the only uniquely personal thing we have to place on God’s altar. It is a hard doctrine, but it is true. The many other things we give to God, however nice that may be of us, are actually things He has already given us, and He has loaned them to us. But when we begin to submit ourselves by letting our wills be swallowed up in God’s will, then we are really giving something to Him. And that hard doctrine lies at the center of discipleship. There is a part of us that is ultimately sovereign, the mind and heart, where we really do decide which way to go and what to do. And when we submit to His will, then we’ve really given Him the one thing He asks of us. And the other things are not very, very important. It is the only possession we have that we can give, and there is no resulting shortage in our agency as a result. Instead, what we see is a flowering of our talents and more and more surges of joy. Submission to Him is the only form of submission that is completely safe."

I can say with an honest heart that desire to submit my will to my God, my Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. In all my life one thing is consistent- When I do what my Father in Heaven asks through the prophets, scriptures, leaders and the still small voice- I am happier.....So I will do whatever He asks me to do- I hope it's not the trials of Abraham that I will ever be asked to do- But, I trust that my Father will help me endure whatever it is that He asks. 

I say this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment